Denver Focus Vlogs From Zennie62 On YouTube

Skyline High Oakland Mentioned In “The Real Tom Hanks” People Magazine Article

Skyline High Oakland Mentioned In “The Real Tom Hanks” People Magazine Article - Video

Skyline High Oakland Mentioned In “The Real Tom Hanks” People Magazine Article Tom Hanks is featured on the cover of the December 9th 2019 People Magazine. Inside the up-close portrait of the famed actor starring in “It’s A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood” is a mention of Skyline High School. The entry goes like this: “At Oakland’s Skyline High School, Hanks was on the soccer and track teams, but found his joy in the drama class.” It’s on page 45. What the piece does not mention is something that’s part of local Oakland History, but it’s captured in the April 1994 People Magazine: “A RETIRED high school drama teacher named Rawley Farnsworth, 69, got a call at his San Francisco apartment. “I don’t know if you’ll remember me,” the caller said, “but I’m an old student of yours. I’ve got a ticket to the Academy Awards, and if I win, I would like to use your name in regard to the content of Philadelphia.” Farnsworth, who certainly did remember his star pupil from the class of 1974 at Oakland’s Skyline High School, replied, “I’d be thrilled.” The student, of course, was Tom Hanks, 37, who won the Best Actor award for his portrayal of an AIDS-stricken gay lawyer. In accepting his Oscar, a tearful Hanks saluted both Farnsworth and a classmate as “two of the finest gay Americans I have known.” If you’re wondering why this vlogger’s Interested in the fact that Hanks graduated from Skyline High, it’s because I did too. I was Class of 1980. And come to think of it, another Hollywood notable was in my graduating class: John Langraf, who’s now the long-time FX Networks President. And, of course, current Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf is Class of 1983. And on that, if anyone knows the details about our 40th reunion in 2020, reach out and let me know. Stay tuned.
via IFTTT
https://youtu.be/XqvSzArPnac
Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Popular Posts